Attendance: Danielle Mott, Kristi Jensen, Steve Yeoman, Kelsie Shafer, Al Jensen, Jenny Vanleeuwen, Calli Turner, Mary Kennedy, Shane Beavers
Corrections to the Minutes: Kristi Jensen motioned to approve the minutes as written, Kelsie Shafer seconded the motion.
President’s Remarks: The parade was fun and went off well. Thank you to all who participated.
1. Reports Distributed
- There is a lot of in-flow because of the fundraiser
- Conferences are next week on Wednesday and Thursday. No school on Friday.
- Family activity on October 17th. Iliff Commons trails hike. The trails are well maintained and the students seem excited.
- On October 17th, there is a District Wellness Night. Schools will be recognized by the Dept. of Agriculture for the Districts approach to physical activity and school lunches. The even will be at Seaman High School. Students are encouraged to come to the nighttime event.
- The spelling bee is approaching and the fee has been paid.
- The book fair is also near. Look for information to come home.
- Flex Time happens during the day at West Indianola. This is a problem solving model to help ensure that students are making progress towards meeting grade level work. The administration staff at West Indianola is working to improve this model.
- The district has figured out how to manage the ipads and apps. Training will be provided for the staff.
- The homecoming float money was much appreciated.
- Ms. Brinkley has asked if PTO could buy Poinsettas to decorate the stage. The parents could then buy the poinsettas. The PTO could then be reimbursed. Danielle Mott will inquire how to buy the poinsettas in bulk. Danielle Mott motioned to have the PTO provide $500 towards the plants. Ms. Jensen seconded the motion. All approved. The vote will occur during the November meeting.
- Ms. Brinkley also needs a piano moved from Kansas City to Topeka.
- October 18th is the K-3rd Skating Party. October 24th is the 4-6th grade Skating Party.
- We have 15 extra tumblers from the Fall Fundraiser. It is up to the PTO to decide what to do with the cups. Do we want to give them to volunteers or sell them at an upcoming event?
- Karen Snyder has been shadowing Lisa Hebert in order to take over the Fall Fundraiser when Lisa moves out.
- American Education Week November 12th-16th. Book Fair is coming and fliers went out today. It will run during conferences.
- Calli is looking into Spirit Nights. She has contacted McDonald’s McTeacher Night and The PAD.
- Teacher Luncheon for the fall will be rescheduled for possibly Thursday of the conference week. A breakfast may be planned instead.
- T-shirt order deadline will be Monday, November 19th, 2012. Polo shirts will be added this year as will Cardinal decals.
- Memorial for Brenna Morgart
- – Tammy spoke to the librarian at West Indianola. She liked the children’s throne idea which could sit as a special seat in the library. She was concerned about space. She preferred maybe a wall hanging or a mirror. The carvers will not do any material that is copy righted. The company suggested a mirror that they could personalize with information about Brenna. They could try to carve her image into the piece. Tammy proposes that we go forth with the mirror idea. Al Jensen seconded the proposal. Steve Yeoman and Kelsie Shaffer asked if we could see drafts so that Barb Morgart could have a say on the design. A quote from her journal could be placed on the mirror. All were in favor of the mirror.
- PTO Grant: Catching Cardinal Character for Jamey Michael. Kelsie Shaffer proposed to approve the grant. Calli Turner seconded. All approved.
- PTO Grant: World Drumming set for Sarah Brinkley. Half of the funds will come from the Grant Fund and half of the funds will come from the PTO special Project Line. Tammy motioned that the funding be approved. Kelsie Shaffer seconded the motion. All approved.
- Wednesday at West: Needing a parent coordinator. There needs to be a central place where work can be left and parents can work. Mrs. Sibley would like to coordinate the center where all of the supplies would be kept. The staff will need to discuss this more and will report to the board. Calli stated that perhaps we could start this in January.
- iPad reimbursements: Steve thinks that the District Board members know our argument because WI parents have attended District Meetings. He is unsure of what will come of the argument. Steve Yeoman takes pride in the fact that we are leading the way buying new technology.
- PTO to sponsor Spelling Bee. The cost was about $122.50. The PTO will vote on this item during the November meeting.
- Counter top in front lobby. Jamie Andrews had mentioned that resurfacing is easier and cost efficient. Mary will call Jamie.
- Cubbies in Classroom: Some rooms like Jensen’s and Schrader’s room need cubbies. Yeoman is not sure that intermediate teachers would want them. Michelle Frank mentioned that lockers might be something to look into. 30 lockers/cubbies per room are needed. Jim Tommes could help Mr. Yeoman look into prives from School Specialty. This discussion will continue in November.
- Update for tree for our bus driver Jim to come.
- Yearbooks: There has been discussion about moving the yearbooks to the end of the year but that leaves out a lot of activities. Jenny VanLeeuwen is working with the yearbook company to get the ball rolling now. The contact has been sent to the school for signing.
Adjournment: Ms Jensen motioned to adjourn and Mr. Yeoman seconded the motion.